“I’m late! I’m late! For a very important date! No time to say ‘Hello,’ goodbye!” I’m late! I’m late!”
For those of you young at heart, you may remember the White Rabbit crooning this tune in Walt Disney’s version of “Alice in Wonderland.” Well, meet Mr. Rabbit. Here I am, as late as ever.
What are you late for? you may well ask. Well, I’m late for just about everything these past two weeks, including being late meeting the publishing date for this article. Who knows when it will be seen, now? Miss a deadline, and your article dies with it!
“WHAT’S ALL THE HUBBUB, BUB?”
Another reference to a cartoon rabbit, Bugs Bunny. I don’t know why these fellows pop into my mind when I’m fresh out of time, but they do – snatching what free minutes of thought that are left.
Busy is the name of the game. This time of year is somehow one of the busiest for me each year. Let’s see what’s on the list:
- Of course, there are clients needing assistance with their tax problems. It’s a good thing that I never run out of them, but not so good when time is running out.
- Two of my doggies are “with pup.” Yes, my two little girls are now two little ladies, waiting to be two little mothers. The grand moment isn’t for a while, but as far as I can tell, it will be a simultaneous event.
- The “To Do” List is getting shorter as I whittle down the tasks. It’s good to get outdoors and exercise by doing some handyman chores, but as I slow with age, I find that time slows for no one.
- It’s time for the annual “CPE-fest”! CPE, better known as Continuing Professional Education, is a requirement for one keeping his CPA license. 40 hours per year / 120 years every three years. (License terms are three years.) My license is up for renewal at the end of the year, so getting all of the requirements taken care of and renewing is taking a bit of time.
- Visiting with others – plenty of birthdays, funerals, weddings, debuts, anniversaries, and out-and-out “let’s get together” functions to attend. I don’t know if I was cut out to be a socialite.
- Getting my necessary, “heart-stressing” exercise in each day. To think I used to joke about having to stay under stress to stay alive. Old Chinese proverb there – “Be careful what you wish for . . . .”
- Antenna maintenance and repair party! If I want to enjoy my amateur radio hobby, I have to take care of the “sky hook” else I’ll be talking to the wind.
- Various holidays – formal and informal – doing their best to tempt me away from work and study, just to have a good time. Can you blame me for giving in every now and then?
- Preparing for Thanksgiving. Once again this year, Baket ko (Asawa ko) [my Wife] and I will be traveling down to San Fernando, La Union, to the “Bali Hai Resort” where they put on a truly traditional Thanksgiving meal. If it was anything less than “fantastic,” we’d never make the trip – it’s that good!
- Preparing for our own annual holiday party. Looks like it will be on December 23rd this year, as the dates all around the 23rd are already spoken for – weddings, christenings, etc. (See #5, above)
The list goes on, but I haven’t the time to put everything down here in print. Too, I don’t have much time left for poking up this article: people to see, places to go, things to do – you know the song.
I’ll try to take some pictures and write-up a little story about our Thanksgiving trip this year. One other fun feature that is happening around the time of turkey-day is a Chili Cook-off on the following Saturday, put on by the VFW branch in San Fernando. That’s always a great way to spend a Saturday. Good chili, good friends, . . . .
Now, if I just have time enough to remember!