Coming Home Pt III

NEW articles daily! Subscribe below to receive daily updates with our new articles!

Please enter your name.
Please enter a valid email address.
Something went wrong. Please check your entries and try again.

Well, this story has turned into a “three-parter”!  It was quite an ordeal – at least what I can remember of it – and its tale is soon finished.  I wonder how many articles it would span had I clear memory of it?


After a couple of days stabilizing, I – with my entourage of tubes, monitors, and sundry ancillaries – was wheeled into the operating room for a third, and hopefully last time.  I wanted this episode in my life to end quickly – starting anew was the goal.

How to Move to the Philippines Manual

This time on the handle-side of the scalpel, was the hospital’s top cardiologist.  He had taught some of those who had worked on me before, but I wouldn’t hold that against him.  I wanted things done right this time.

The procedure was over in an hour.   I was kindly sedated so that I wouldn’t have to watch, and that suited me well.  I awoke to that now-common state of somewhat consciousness to which I’d grown accustomed, and saw the top cardiologist looking down at me.

He said that all went perfectly well – a textbook example of such an insertion, and all that I needed was a day or two in intensive care then a day or two in advanced care.  Then, if I could “pass all of the tests,” I could go home.

TESTS?  Hadn’t I been tested enough?  Seems as though there were tests from every department that had a hand in my case.  I still can’t recall ever seeing an internal medicine or a psychologist, but they had tests.  Fail one, and it’s another day in the hospital.

A sinister “by the way” informed me that I had small amounts of liquids around my lungs that would require extraction.  When that moment of pain came, the pulmonary specialist was unsuccessful.  After a half hour of torturous prodding with a needle without results, we called it quits.

A query of a possible second attempt was dismissed with a negative phrase, worthy of any sailor so annoyed.  That was that – I will live with the fluids until they naturally drain away on their own, period.


Tests were administered by everyone imaginable – from the cardiologist to the dietary specialist.  Each wanted to make sure that, at least for their specialty, I was able to function as a normal, healthy human being.

Consideration was given to my having spent the previous seven days in bed under sedation, thankfully.  While it took two days to pass all of the tests, each one was passed on its first attempt.  (Yes, there were that many tests.)

When all were successfully completed, I was provided with the clothes that I had on when I checked in and told that I could get dressed in preparation for my departure.   It was Baket ko (Asawa ko) [my Wife] who had come to the rescue.

She brought fresh clothes from home for me to wear on my first day out in the sunshine.  Bless her, forever – she insured that I wouldn’t have to ride home in clothes that “smelled of hospital.”   That smell continues to plague me until now.


I don’t know how long the drive was from the hospital to the house.  I do know that I savored every inch of that drive.  Coming out of the hospital for the first time in eight days, I was greeted with a beautiful, sunny, 85°F day.

i-am-coming-homeI could have been released during a blizzard, and would have enjoyed that trip just as intently.  Upon arrival at home, my first move was to catch up on my sleep.  Many don’t realize that “intensive care” equals “no rest for the weary.”

While in intensive care, between sessions in the operating room, or in the CT-Scan clinic, or in radiology, the “intensive care nurses” were hell-bent on caring for me intensely.   There’s always a pill to take, vital signs to record, blood and bodily fluids to draw, etc.

Topping it off is the rather comical event of being awakened immediately after dozing off with a concerned, “Are you all right?  Are you comfortable?  Do you want to try to get some rest?”  I can’t laugh over that just yet – only smile.


These three articles should have brought you up to date on the trials and tribulations of this year’s “vacation from the vacation.”  I must state, however, that not all that occurred during that vacation was negative.

I did manage to play a whole lot of golf.  I became a member of the courses on Wright-Patterson AFB, and played on a tempo in line with a quick recoup of my investment.  I’ve only been able to “chip and putt” since my discharge, but my 4 to 6 weeks of no activity comes to an end tomorrow.

Perhaps I can squeeze 9 holes in, in-between sessions of packing bags and readying for our trip back to Paradise.

Regardless, golf or no, I’ll soon be home.

Posted in


Paul is a CPA and a retired tax accountant, having served companies and corporations of all sizes, as well as individuals, in public accounting practices. Prior to what he refers to as his "real job," he served a 24-year career in the U.S. Navy, retiring as a Master Chief Petty Officer. It was during this career that he met and married his OFW spouse of 40+ years, Emy, while stationed in London, UK. (Though he pleaded for the assignment, Paul never received orders to the Philippines.) A "Phil-phile" from an early age, Paul remembers his first introduction to the Philippines in the primary grades of a parochial elementary school where, one week each year, children donated their pennies to purchase school supplies, food and other necessities for Filipino children in need. That love for Filipinos continues to this day. Calling Pasuquin, Ilocos Norte--in the far northwestern part of Luzon--home (just about as far away from Davao as one can be while still being on one of the major islands) Paul prefers a more relaxed provincial life style, and willingly shares a different view of the Philippines from "up north"!

Most Shared Posts

Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
5 years ago

Pleased to hear that you are well on the way to recovery and back to Paradise.
Keep well

5 years ago

Thank you, Marjorie – I was hoping that pumping out three articles all at once would give me three weeks worth of “mission accomplished,” but it appears that the articles have been published a little quicker that I thought they would be.

So, recovery means hitting the keyboard once again! 😆

David Blair
David Blair
5 years ago

Paul, you still at WPAFB? David in Fairborn

Tom N
5 years ago

Glad that this all worked out for you, Paul. A little stressing, I would imagine, but seems like you are now on the mend. Good news!

5 years ago

It was starting to get a little too cold, David, so I hopped a few planes and am now warmly ensconced back home in the Philippines. Has a Category 4 typhoon pass through, but that’s much better than shoveling snow! 😆

5 years ago

Mending well, Tom. Of course, it helps being back home in the Philippines – little annoyances are much easier to tolerate here! 😆


Make sure you've signed up to our newsletter to get exclusive newsletter only content! Also be updated about all our important events and other important info that our readers rely on.


Something went wrong. Please check your entries and try again.