Driving licence conversion problem  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Roy
 Roy
(@roy)
11/07/2018 7:05 pm  

Hi,

My wife and I moved to IloIlo a month ago, having bought a condo. Today, at the LTO in San jose, Antique (near my wife's parents), I tried to convert my UK licence. The manager there refused because my Balikbayan visa expires in 11 months time, and the rules state that one needs to have a 12 month visa. I think that she has interpreted the rules too literally, but anyway, she insists I need to obtain an ACR. Can anyone advise here? Cheers

Anonymous
11/07/2018 7:07 pm  

About 2 years ago they changed the rules. You must have a Permanent Visa (13A, 13G, SRRV, etc) to do the conversion and get a DL.

Sorry for the bad news.

ReplyQuote
Roy
 Roy
(@roy)
11/07/2018 7:16 pm  

Drat!

If I apply for the SRRV can I forgo the $10,000 deposit, as we've already bought (and paid for) a condo? I'm in receipt of a UK military pension in excess of $1000pm.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
11/07/2018 7:24 pm  

The condo you already bought cannot be used for your deposit, sorry.

But it is possible that the deposit could be much less than $10,000.

We can help you on that. Our consultation fee on this is quite inexpensive, just US$50. You can check it out here:

https://liveinthephilippines.com/product/visa-consultation/

ReplyQuote
Alex Mooney
(@alex)
Active Member Admin
11/07/2018 8:32 pm  
Posted by: Roy

Hi,

My wife and I moved to IloIlo a month ago, having bought a condo. Today, at the LTO in San jose, Antique (near my wife's parents), I tried to convert my UK licence. The manager there refused because my Balikbayan visa expires in 11 months time, and the rules state that one needs to have a 12 month visa. I think that she has interpreted the rules too literally, but anyway, she insists I need to obtain an ACR. Can anyone advise here? Cheers

Not 100% sure about what you're looking to do. Do you want the drivers license or do you want to get a different visa? Do you want to get a different visa just so you can get a drivers license?

ReplyQuote
Roy
 Roy
(@roy)
11/07/2018 9:20 pm  

Hi Alex (and thanks Bob),

I need a licence primarily. I had intended spending a year or so on the BB visa before electing for a 13A or SRRV; however it seems I need the 13A or SRRV in order to get a licence. I intend getting a pickup ASAP as my wife and I will be travelling to Antique from IloIlo on a weekely basis to visit her parents, and the 4-hour plus bus ride is a total nightmare - did it twice, never again.

Effectively I have 2 months to sort out a permanent visa, otherwise I'm a pedestrian. That's how I see it anyhow.

ReplyQuote
Alex Mooney
(@alex)
Active Member Admin
12/07/2018 8:42 am  
Posted by: Roy

Hi Alex (and thanks Bob),

I need a licence primarily. I had intended spending a year or so on the BB visa before electing for a 13A or SRRV; however it seems I need the 13A or SRRV in order to get a licence. I intend getting a pickup ASAP as my wife and I will be travelling to Antique from IloIlo on a weekely basis to visit her parents, and the 4-hour plus bus ride is a total nightmare - did it twice, never again.

Effectively I have 2 months to sort out a permanent visa, otherwise I'm a pedestrian. That's how I see it anyhow.

Might as well bite the bullet since you are expecting to move to a different visa anyways. I didn't have this problem since I converted my license long ago and have no issues renewing it. My father converted his license a year ago and we never had a problem with his visa type "BB". We are from a small province and we everyone knows everyone. My wife knows the people who work at the LTO so I have no idea if that played a role or not. Bob does not really encourage people to get the SRRV but you'd need to speak to him about that since hes been in the PH for over 18 years without an SRRV.

It seems your options are clear, good luck to you and if you have more questions please let us know.

ReplyQuote
Acorn
(@acorn)
15/07/2018 7:50 am  

Hi Drat,

The good news for you if are over 50, ex military and in receipt of a pension in excess of US$1,000 a month you would be entitled to apply for the SSRV EXPANDED COURTESY. Costs are a one time application fee US$1,400 and a deposit of only US$1,500 (this may be exempt if you own property. I applied 3 years ago and the process was very straight forward and had the visa in about 10 days, from memory I think they will even help you get a drivers license. With this visa you are exempt from an ACR card, exempt from any annual fees, no return airline ticket required and no requirement to report to immigration. I recently renewed my SSRV ID card after 3 years for another 3 years at a total cost of US$30 (this is the only outlay I have had in 3 years). I did crunch the numbers once and from memory would be in front after a couple of years (application fee v immigration fees). Hope this helps, for latest info visit  https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/. ... cheers

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
15/07/2018 8:06 am  

Yep, this is exactly correct, except for one small, very small point. It is an SRRV, not an SSRV.

Thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
Acorn
(@acorn)
15/07/2018 8:14 am  

sorry   ???? , typo

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
15/07/2018 8:16 am  

No problem. 

It is funny, I deal with a lot of SRRV holders, even help them in obtaining SRRVs. I would say that about 90% of the people I deal with call it an SSRV. LOL

Thanks again for sharing on the forum!

ReplyQuote
Roy
 Roy
(@roy)
16/07/2018 9:32 pm  

Hi Acorn, many thanks indeed!

Bob, FWIW, I can confirm that the Balikbayan is zero use (officially) in obtaining a driving licence - today San Jose LTO office in Antique (near my wife's parents) were very polite and helpful, but firmly refused to issue a licence to me. They even had an official memo emailed through from Manila to clarify the official position - it has to be a 13-series or an SRRV.

Acorn - I live in IloIlo - the BI office there told me, on the phone, that I can only apply for the SRRV in Manila, but that they can process the 13A no problem. I see from the link that you sent that the process is due to go online (does not say when), and that it can take as little as 10 days to process, depending upon police clearance(s) being done.

My wife will speak to the PRA tomorrow on my behalf to find out whether or not it is worth my while to head up to the Clark/Subic office in order to process - I have a potential job-opening up there around the end of the year and I need to square away the contract stuff face to face with them, so I could possibly kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks again for your help, I'll post on here later if I have any useful info to add.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Bry
 Bry
(@bry)
23/07/2018 8:05 pm  

Hi I have a similar problem. I have a car already, I have been married for over 10 years now. I live in the Philippines for most of the year  with my wife but have to return to the UK once a year. I can drive for the first 3 months I'm here then I can't without leaving the country for 24 hours  just to be able to drive legally. I have tried to convert my license without success. I won't  use a fixer and would rather the Philippine Government have the airfare I spend every 3 months ( and not have the hassle). I'm stuck in this cycle until I apply for the 13a visa. When I do eventually apply for the 13a visa when can I then convert my UK driving license ? As I have to have a full years visa from the date of the application to convert. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for anyones help.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
23/07/2018 8:28 pm  

If you get a resident visa you can get a driver's license. Better just go for that. You can convert as soon as you get the 13A. 13A is a permanent visa.

ReplyQuote
Bry
 Bry
(@bry)
23/07/2018 8:49 pm  

Thanks Bob. I get confused easily.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register