A daily cacophony of sounds, Jeepneys downshifting and their brakes squealing, Trike’s roaring along with the baffles removed from their exhaust thinking it will save them gas. Kids; as school get out heading home and whooping and hollering in excitement. Dogs barking whenever you pass the compound gate, roosters whenever they damn well feel like crowing they will, chickens clucking and ducks quacking Do-dong the Pan-de-Sal guy with his little horn at 5 am and a thousand other noises you hear on any given day here in the Philippines. Oh and nay I should forget Karaoke that sound that goes until the rent is up on the machine. But remember there is a lot of happy noise, kids playing people laughing things like that and I do wait to hear Do-dong and his hot Pan-de-Sal.
Here is something I know, it’s not going to stop, there is no “Noise Abatement Ordinance” on the books in my Barangay (THAT I KNOW OF) and no one is trying to get elected by campaigning for one. I’ve found that 75% is happy noise, people living life and seemingly enjoying themselves, the other 25% are minor irritants that with time will become white noise or at the very most background sounds.
Firing a Naval Gun trapped inside a steel turret, while members of the US Marines requests ”Gun Fire” support and gives you the coordinates to some unseen location that he strongly desires to make disappear, and we’ll gladly oblige. But within a short time you find your hearing has degraded to the point that living in the Philippines is fun. Ahh more white noise!
I just turned 68 and still haven’t filed a claim with the VA for my service connected hearing loss. I figured it has done me more good, than harm, albeit my wife might not agree at the level I set the volume when watching TV are listening to music. The “What‘d you say honey KO” is not music to her ears either. But I can go to sleep while my family is having a party downstairs and not be a killjoy. Even to the point of tuning out the constant drone of the “Damnable Singing Machine”
That in itself makes me happy that I could help make stuff disappear with our Mk-42 5-inch/54 caliber gun for our Marine buddy sitting ashore in harm’s way. The thank you and the beer from a Marine on R&R after he reads USS Mullinnix on your ships patch in a bar in the Barrio makes it all worthwhile.
If this noise is going to bother you and in anyway affect the quality of your life, I strongly suggest stocking up on ear plugs or Government Issue Mickey Mouse Ears, and I’ve been told that Gated Communities” have rules that they enforce, but remember that you’ll be subject to their rules too
Last but not in any way the least is Fireworks. Olongapo City has banned them, but the towns on both sides have not (Which is also Dinalupihan where I live). So now it’s just a matter of if they can catch you, and a person would be foolish to fire them off in close proximity to the police or some Barangay Officials that might enforce the ordinance but for the most part except that special “perfect” area, where you live that strictly enforces all rules. There might be a chance you’ll hear them. This is a subject that I’ve written about, I’ve not ever been a fan of fireworks, for no other reason than MOST people using them can be idiots. I love the sign that says: “Kids, stay away from fireworks, allow the adult who has been drinking all day handle them” But I will take no action to stop people from using, them except on my property.
You as a free thinking individual may agree with me or not, but know that noise in the Philippines is not going away any time soon, the faster you resign yourself to that fact, the easier life will become, and as in my case, you might even grow to ignore it thanks to a hearing impairment (LOL), or at least get used to it. In the words of that famous British One Hit Wonder song by: MARRS. “Pump up the volume.”
DISCLAIMER: Not once did I say I liked the noise, I said I can’t hear most of the noise.
The VA will offer me hearing aids…I might just decline.