Here in our household we don’t usually eat a heavy breakfast. Between me, my kids and Bob, often times we have different breakfasts here. Me and my nieces, nephew and helper usually eat bread or the Filipino delicacies (suman, biko and puto) and coffee, milo or chokolate to drink. The kids might have eggs and ham/longaniza with toast bread or just cereals. During summertime when my kids spend time with my family at the farm or in GenSan, my family feeds them noodles and hotdog for breakfast. Yes that’s right noodles and the red neon hotdog.
I remember when my family first offered those to my kids here. My kids faces were really in disgust. But they learned to eat them over time. They are okay now and just eat it.
I learned to make homemade pancakes. They have a lot of it in stores here but sometimes we tend to forget to buy. So I researched and tried and found some recipe that we all liked in my family. Also I made homemade maple syrup. I will give the recipe. Thank God for the internet.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of canola oil
- oil to cook the pancake
- Mix all the ingredients. Whisk it until it become smooth. For us we used sieve or strainer just to make sure its not lumpy.
- Heat an oil on the skillet, just not too hot and drop a ladle full of the pancake batter to the skillet and cook until you can see bubbling up. Turn over the other side just to make it a little brown.
- When its cook put on the plate and put butter on top of the pancake. And put your favorite toppings that you want that goes with it. It can be jelly, syrup or cinnamon sugar or others.
*** If you can’t get buttermilk in your local grocery store here. Just make your own. Very easy. Make the buttermilk while preparing for the rest of the ingredients.***
Homemade Buttermilk: 1 cup of milk mix it with 1 tbsp of vinegar. Let it set for about 10-15 minutes.
Good Homemade Maple Syrup:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar each brown and white
- 2 cups water
- a dash of salt
- 1 tbsp maple flavor (McCormick)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- First mix the sugar and the cornstarch in a bowl and put aside. Put the water, the butter and a dash of salt in the pot. Bring it to a boil, turn the heat to medium, add the sugar mixture to the pot slowly and whisk it at the same time. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes and continue whisking. When its gets to the consistency that you like take out from the stove and add the maple syrup and continue whisking. Ready to serve.
I will share some more American breakfast recipes that we make here in our house. You can find the ingredients here in the grocery store locally too. Have fun eating guys!