Last year, I wrote an article called Bob’s Top Ten Restaurants in Davao here on this site. Well, a year is a relatively long time, and tastes can change in that time. Restaurants that were great can lose their luster, and restaurants that didn’t even exist can be the newest hot thing in a City over that course of time. So, today, I decided it’s time to update my favorite Restaurants in Davao City. If you are traveling in Davao, I highly recommend giving these places a try.
From last year’s top ten list, only four places remain in my updated top ten restaurant list! It’s not that the other 6 are bad now, but rather new places have opened which are very good.
OK, let’s have a look at my new top ten. These are in the order that I like them, so #1 is the best in my opinion, and so on…
10. Pepper & Peppers. This place is located along Jacinto Extension about halfway between the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas and F. Torres Street. To be honest, I have never sat down to eat in Pepper & Peppers, but I have had some of their dishes here at home. Their Iberian Chicken is to die for! Very good. If you want to eat the Iberian Chicken, though, you must let them know about 2 hours in advance so that they can cook it for you. I highly recommend the Iberian Chicken, it is about the best chicken you can find.
9. Lotus Court. Lotus Court is the Chinese Restaurant at Marco Polo Hotel, it is located on the 3rd Floor of Marco Polo. The food here is excellent, but a bit pricey. Being in Marco Polo, that is to be expected. Service here is also excellent. If you like Chinese Food, Lotus has the best in town, in my opinion.
8. Roadhouse Cafe. Roadhouse is one of the 4 restaurants to repeat for a second year on my top 10 list. Roadhouse is a “cowboy” type place, with East meets West food. My favorites at Roadhouse include their Asian Chicken Salad, and their Cheeseburger is also excellent. Roadhouse is located in SM City Davao. They also have locations in Valencia, Bukidnon (the original location) and SM City Cagayan de Oro.
7. Swiss Deli. Swiss Deli was also on my list last year as well. It is not outstanding, but a consistently good place. I don’t recall ever getting bad food there, and I do like to keep going back. Swiss Deli features mostly European foods. They also have a full Deli where you can buy lunch meats, cheese and such. Swiss Deli is located in the Damosa area, in the northern part of the City.
6. Hola Espana. Hola Espana is again here for the second year in a row. Hola is much like Swiss Deli, and is located very close too, in Damosa Gateway. Hola Espana has, in it’s short life, become a favorite for expats and Filipinos alike. Mostly Spanish food, with some Italian thrown in too.
5. La Toscana. La Toscana is new this year on the list, although it has been in Davao for years. Although I knew of the place, I didn’t go there regularly until mid-2008 and beyond. Of course, it is Italian food, and excellent Italian food at that. Excellent food, and also quite inexpensive, in my opinion. Feyma and I can eat there, actually over-eat there, for P800 or less. La Toscana is located on MacArthur Highway, downtown, just across from Davao Doctor’s Hospital.
4. Spirale Ristorante. Another Italian place! Italian food seems to be really popular in Davao these days for some reason, and we are blessed with a number of Italian restaurants. Spirale is a new player in this niche, but an excellent one. They have some excellent dishes of all kinds there. I really like their Pizzata, and their Pasta is good too. Spirale is located in Damosa as well, behind McDonald’s in the Market Basket complex.
3. De Bonte Ko. This is a Dutch Restaurant, and again a repeat from last year. Last year I rated De Bonte Ko #1 on my list and they have slipped to #3 now, but it is still excellent. De Bonte Ko is located in the La Habana Compound on Rizal Street. The owner is Henny, a very nice guy, whom I consider a good friend. The thing that sets De Bonte Ko apart is that the service is, in my opinion, world class – certainly the best in the City. My recommendation at De Bonte Ko is the Bleu Cheese Steak. If you stop in, tell Henny that I said hi!
2. Mamu’s Resto Bar. Mamu’s is a very new place, and it is excellent. Primarily Filipino food, but some other stuff mixed in too. I really like their smoked sashimi and the clam chowder is excellent. Mamu’s is located on Bacaca Road, very near to Rolling Hills Subdivision and El Rio Subdivision. Remember when ordering – food is served Family Style, so each dish is good for 3 or 4 people.
1. Bryan’s Grill. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, I think that Bryan’s has the best food in Davao. Bryan could do much better with the ambiance and service, but the food is head and shoulders above anywhere else, so I can’t help but put it in the number 1 spot. Bryan’s is hard to find, it is located in Palm Village Subdivision, not far from Victoria Plaza. Bryan also has a Bed & Breakfast Inn on site and a swimming pool. Prices are very inexpensive, and the food is most certainly gourmet. I recommend them highly.