Davao City has turned into sort of the Seattle of the Philippines. Seattle, Washington is where Starbucks got started and is sort of the Coffee Capital of the USA, and that is how Davao is here in the Philippines.
Surprisingly, there are a lot of coffee shops here in Davao. I have told Feyma, and others recently that I would estimate that there are at least 100 Coffee Shops here in Davao. And, I’m not talking about hole in the wall type places, I am talking about classy places where you can get a world class cup of coffee, some good food, and see a lot of nice people. And, you can get more than just the normal cup of coffee too!
Some places in Davao offer literally dozens of different varieties of coffee drinks on their menu. You can order coffee grown in the Philippines, in South America, or just about anyplace of your choice! Davao is really in the business of serving Coffee Connoisseurs these days! There are no Starbucks in Davao either, these are almost exclusively home-grown shops that you will find around the City.
What are some of my favorite Coffee Shops?
- Bluegre Cafe – You can’t talk Davao Coffee Shops without mentioning Blugre, it is the original Davao Coffee Shop, no doubt. Blugre has locations at Landco Building, Matina Town Square and at SM. Have I forgotten any?
- Bo’s Coffee Shop – Bo’s original location is at SM City, and they have a second location on F. Torres Street. My only problem with going to the F. Torres location is that the acoustics in the place are terrible. I can sit at a table with Feyma and not hear a word she says, yet I can hear the guy on the other side of the building like he is sitting on my lap! The coffee is great, but not a great place for socializing, in my opinion.
- Fagioli – This is a relatively new coffee shop, located on J.P. Laurel Ave, in Damosa. My favorite here is actually the tea instead of the coffee. Only complaint about the place is that it can get hot in there, they need additional Air Conditioning units.
- Basti’s Brew – Basti’s has great coffee! It can get quite crowded in the place, though, as it is in a mall, Victoria Plaza.
- Holiday Health Spa – I work out and swim here at Holiday Health Spa every weekday morning. The coffee shop inside the spa actually has excellent coffee! My favorite is the Vanilla Bean Latte.
If you want to experience true Davao, I recommend that you go to Blugre Cafe and try the Durian Coffee. It is superb, and really is a true Davao experience!
Want to have a cup of coffee with me? If so, I am usually at the Coffee Shop in Holiday Health Spa on F. Torres Street every weekday around 10am until 10:30 or so. Stop by and let’s enjoy a cup!