I got a forwarded email from somebody. I Think it really was intended to be a joke email, but when I read about it, it has meaning. It is about the perceptions of the Filipinos towards Filipinos or families that lives abroad. That everybody that lives there is filthy rich and that you have a tree outside that bears a lot of $$$. It was written in Tagalog. A lot of it was really true. I translate some of it.
Here’s some sample:
- That when you live in the US, Canada, Europe and Australia that you have lots and lots of money.
- That you own a few credit cards you are cool and have money then.
- That if you own a nice house and a nice car then you are really rich.
- That when you are sending them a nice picture that you went for a vacation to Disneyland, or Disney World, or Six Flags or some other nice place it shows you can afford everything.
- That you can come to the Philippines to visit once or twice every 2 years.
- That you can help once in awhile to the other siblings when they are in need.
- That you could help send some nieces and nephews to school.
Some people just don’t realize that we have all of the stuff that we have because we work so hard. Yeah we have nice house and car, but we have a loan that we are paying every month. We can go for vacation because there is some stuff we have to cut down and try to save for the vacation that we are dreaming of. Yeah, we are earning dollars but we are also spending in dollars too. This is really the reality here. I know there are some that are well to do and not relying on their families abroad, but the majority are really waiting for the money that would be sent from abroad.
Having lived in the States for 10 years I really did experience some of those expectations from my distant relatives. They are the ones who asked something from me. I’ve never heard my Dad, Mom and siblings ask for money. They tried their very best to support their family here. Now we are sending some nieces and nephew to school. We have to let them work for us too instead of just handing them money. Bob and I were already burned by one of our nieces. We treated her like our daughter, but she just really slapped us back with dishonesty and vices. So now Bob and I decided that we don’t just give, we let them work a little before giving free stuff or money.
I do hope with the internet and TV now that people would get a glimpse of how the other people live their lives in the West. Its not the perfect image that they are thinking. Oh well, I might have thought the way these people think before I went to the States too. We just have to open our eyes I guess. It’s not too late. What do you think?