NEW articles daily! Subscribe below to receive daily updates with our new articles!
If you are a big fan of sports, you are probably wondering what kinds of sports can you enjoy in the Philippines.
There are a number of sports on TV here, but if you have a favorite sport that is not too popular here, the amount of time it will be on might be limited. Let’s look at a variety of sports that you might be wondering about:
- Football (American Football): There is American football on TV here, but nowhere near the number of games that you might be wanting to see. Over the course of a week, during football season, you should expect to see maybe 3 or 4 games in all on TV. Most of these will be seen on ESPN Asia. These will be Pro (NFL) games – College football is rarely seen here. And, don’t expect to see them on Sunday. For one thing, Sunday in the States is Monday here anyway. But, the games will be televised here after they have already been played, and on different days throughout the week. A few games will be on live, but those will be early in the morning and may not be convenient for you to watch.
- Baseball: You will say a couple of Major League Baseball games on every week during baseball season. Don’t expect too much more.
- Soccer (what everybody calls Football, except us Americans): There is a quite a bit of Soccer on TV, so “Football” Fans will probably be pretty happy with the coverage.
- Golf: Most major PGA tournaments are televised.
- NASCAR/F1/other racing: Expect goo TV coverage.
- Basketball: Ding Ding Ding! You have hit the Jackpot. Basketball is hugely popular in the Philippines, and you can watch basketball on TV at virtually any time you choose. On Cable there is even an entire channel that is devoted to only basketball! You can see current games, great games of history, college, NBA, PBA and other Philippine leagues, and just about any other basketball that you can imagine.
Besides Basketball, I would say that the other super-popular sport in the Philippines is Cockfighting. Every town has at least one cockpit where regular matches are held. Betting is rampant too. To date, though, I have never seen a cockfight on TV. If you want to experience cockfighting, you will need to take an afternoon and go watch in person!