Today’s Guest Column is from David Katague. David has a blog about his place in his beloved Marinduque, give it a visit, and visit David if you happen to be in Marinduque too!
My Top Ten Annoying Things in the Philippines
Just recently Bob posted an article stating that The Filipinos do not believe that time is money, so that instead of giving you an exact time for an appointment, they will say, after lunch, or see you in the morning or afternoon. To a foreigner or non-Filipino visitor, this is indeed an annoying Filipino habit, trait or tradition.
Besides the above (value of time) I have my own personal list of 10 other annoying things in the Philippines as follows:
- Traffic ( in big cities) There is always traffic congestion almost 24 hours a day, especially in big cities. The only time of the day when there is no traffic congestion in Manila and suburbs is between 2 to 3 AM. This is a good time to go to the airport to be in time for your 6AM flight.
- Jeepney and Bus drivers: They drive like maniacs. They pick up and drop passengers in the middle of the road. Most provincial drivers drive like maniacs. They will overtake private cars on the wrong side of the highway and even on dangerous curves.
- The long lines in the banks and ATM machines and people cutting-in the lines
- The crowing of the cocks and the barking dogs at 4AM or even earlier
- When you invite one in your party, he or she brings one or two others, without advising you ahead
- Filipinos seldom RSVP an invitation or answers their e-mail in a timely manner
- The heat and humidity during the summer months especially the months of April and May
- The smell of fish and (Durian)-probably only in Davao) in the public market
- Littering on the streets and on the beaches
- Urinating in public
I know you could probably add more items here and I encourage you to it. I also know there are a lot of numerous good things about the Philippines. But that is another topic worthy of writing in the future.